July 16, 2009

Sadness & Condolences

I want to send my deepest condolences out to Dorothy Willoughby and her family. Many of you will remember India as one of my lesson horses. She was given to Dorothy by John her husband last year as a birthday present. Very sadly India was put to sleep last evening. As horse owners many of us fear the day we have to put our mounts to sleep. There are a lot of us who escape ever actually having to do it. So many horses are not kept by one owner for their entire life as we change mounts to suit our riding level as we progress. (That's a really akward statement, but I'm not thinking totally clearly at this point) Dorothy was always destined to be the exception. Before I brought India home I made a propehtic statment to Dorothy that I had a mare coming that I thought she would fall in love with. I just didn't know how deep that river of love would run. India was one of my best adult lesson horses, and vital to my program. At the same time when the idea of her becoming Dorothy's birthday present came up it was very difficult to resisit. I have been in this business a long time, and the bond those two shared was unique. I waffled heavily on not letting her go. Finally, at the 11th hour after saying no a final time I called John and said I would do it. He asked me to bring her to the party, so Dan and I loaded her in the trailer and took her to the party.

From that day on there was no doubt in my mind that they would have a life long relationship. I just didn't expect it would end within the year.

Both of you will be in my prayers during the weeks to come.

No comments: