July 02, 2009

Commentary on the equestrian world

I don't often fall into the typical blog commentary style. Tonight I feel the need to. There are a couple of things on my mind. Perhaps sharing them with all of you will help me sleep tonight.

The first is why equestrains feel the need to stretch the truth on things that are so readily checked on. For instance what is the purpose in sharing your standings in the points unless you are honest? Don't tell me that you are 8th if in act you are 12th. When I can go home and check for myself in 10 minutes. OR When you win a class, but there was virtually no competition and you act like you beat George Morris himself for that ribbon. Don't get me wrong there are times where the turnout at a show is low and we earn ribbons based on not going off course and not falling off. When we do though I try not to post like we hung the moon. I try to highlight that turnout was low, or whatever else played into the equation.

The second thing is not about the participants in this sport, but rather the professionals. My attitude with every relationship I have in this industry is that everyone needs to be where they are based on what is best for them. I work very hard to not take it personally, and recognize it as the business decision it is. So many professionals in this business take personal offense at client turnover, or client concern. I just don't understand it. Clients come and go, there is always someone else. It is not about running a kingdom and maintaining a harem of like minded individuals. Varietey and differences make the world go round.

Let's all commit to helping each other when we can and not hurting each other when we can't.

No comments: